Saturday, April 12, 2003

April 10,2003 (actual writing time)

Houston, Texas.
George Bush International Airport

Shock of shocks: I managed to sleep through most of the flight from Seattle to Houston. The seats on the Continental flight have either shrunk or I have gotten larger. You can figure which answer is the correct one.

The flight arrived in the pre-dawn Texas darkness, and here I sit – killing time. I’ve been here since about 6:30am. The next flight goes at 11:30 or so. And as I type this, it is 8:21.

This must be my most interesting travel story ever!

Waves of people go by – flights departing and arriving. There is lots of Spanish spoken, and I assume that is because Continental services much of Latin America.

There are smaller bellies than I had imagined. In fact, America looks quite fit.

There is little food choice where I am holed up. Shortly I will go wander the rest of the terminal. In Seattle I had to go through the whole security exam – shoes removed and x-rayed, told to “stand over there,” so I could be fisked and “wanded.” Has there been a connection between weight gain and exposure to metal detectors?

One disappointment is that there is no wireless internet access where I am. I don’t know if this is true for the entire airport – I can’t imagine that! But, I am having to write this drivel in Word and hope to cut and paste before I hop and fly.

CNN blares, and it still filled with war. I just heard shock and awe again. This time it probably refers to the reaction to the price of a Starbucks in George Bush International.

I guess its too early for a beer. Probably not too early for Duty Free!

And with that…

No comments: