Tuesday, April 15, 2003

The guilt is setting in. After a few days of doing less than nothing here in Belize City, I’m getting restless.

Belize City is a dumpy spot, and there is little to do. I’m here only one more night (at least it’s cheap staying on Brent & Roh’s couch!). That said, today I will wander off in search of the museum and fell like I’m done more than just nothing.

Tomorrow morning, things will change substantially when I take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker. I’ll be there until after Easter. Brent and Roh are coming over Friday morning and we’ll all be there for Easter – which is the busiest time of year on Caulker.

The great thing about getting over there is that there are billions of things to do/spend money on: snorkeling, deep sea fishing, kayaking, etc. And it will be an opportunity to visit with other travelers.

Following Caulker, the plan is to head to the border area of Belize & Guatemala to do a little research. Brent is taking time off, so we’ll both be on the road. If approved by the CBC, we’ll do a feature on the #1 kids show in Belize: the Pandy Show. After that, Guatemala.

It’s very strange to have all this free time. I’ll attack a book today as well. And try to keep BBC world switched off. I see Syria is fast becoming the next domino that America seeks to topple. And so it goes.

The weather has been great here: not too hot, nor too humid. Hot, being relative, of course. It generally gets to near 90 by midday. The three fans in the living room add a little comfort, though the heat is not an issue for me. I love being donned in only shorts, t-shirts and bare feet.

Work-wise, I have done little. This will change soon, though. I don’t know how many radio items I’ll attempt, but there are certainly lots of stories to be told. I’m planning to take my gear to Caye Caulker – but I am not going to bring Brent’s computer. The salt air is probably not good for his shiny new Mac.

That’s it for now…



No comments: