Saturday, August 09, 2003

TIMEWARP ALERT!!! This is my border expedition report for: July 7, 2003

July 7, 2003
Hedehusene, Denmark

I am paying the price for not editing the Great Central European Border Expedition 22 months ago! Without an injection of cash, its hard to commit time to such a huge project: chopping 20 hours of footage into 1 hour. It sounds easy, but believe me, it is anything but!

So, that leaves me at Jesper’s place, with all the GCEBE footage burned to a dozen disks. In preparation for a evening get together at Peter Hering’s place (he is the expedition leader), I have decided to put together some of the footage. I spend the day on it, hacking through all the events that made up Day 1. After several hours, I have a rough, though long, day one video. The GCEBE was 11 days. This is going to take a while.

There is still no internet at Jespers, which is probably a good thing. Though I am in the middle of setting up some shoots back in Canada, and access to email would be nice. When Jesper comes home from work, I am still hammering away at the video.

We head over to Peter’s place in Oelstykke (Ølstykke). I will be staying at Peter’s this evening, so I am loaded down with my million-kilo bag, video gear, and laptop. It is great to be back in the company of my two borderfreak friends again.

As we sit and talk excitedly about the big event that is just days away, we are joined by Hans Peter Nissen – another Danish borderfreak and Mike Kaufman from the USA. We look over maps and then take a look at my videos. Hans Peter orders and then pays for pizza. What a great guy!

The beers flow as we flip through Peter’s collections of previous border expedition pictures. It is unbelievable to think that we’re about to start our third! We’re all very excited, though it seems weird that the rest of our border mates are not here yet. It won’t be a real expedition without the likes of Rolf, Harry and Anne.

It is quite late when I make my way to my room. Sleep comes easily.

-30-

No comments: