Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Caye Caulker, Belize

At 5:25am this morning, I could be found floating in the Caribbean sea as the sun rose. Quite a surreal way to end yet another visit to Caye Caulker. I am sad to leave, not because I fear I won't be back again -- but because the rest of the world seems to be on to the secret of this place. Everywhere I look, there are signs of a coming tourist wave. New guest houses and eateries going up, more "foreigners," and higher prices. It's funny how you graduate from the Loney Planet crowd and become the seeker of private spots to call your own. This is definitely mine. And I hope it isn't a carbon copy of Playa del Carmen, Mexico when I return...

There isn't a lot of time before I hop on the water taxi to Belize City and my last full day here in Belize. So, some random thoughts and events that I write more to remember when I get home than as interesting reading:

-- I shall miss sitting in the dark under an almond tree, rum and mango drink in one hand, gazing at the moonlit sea as a healthy breeze cools the hot night air... and thin Europeans saunter by...

-- The strange scene of hottubs in the jungle...

-- Chef Dieter spraying his kitchen with bug dope -- just so we can get one shot.

-- Only an hour ago, sitting with my feet in the sea. Millions of wee fish brushing past my feet. And other fish that look like characters from "Finding Nemo" poking about my toes.

-- A staredown with a big mother of an iguana at the Lazy Lizard bar at "The Split." And noticing the erosion. Whoops! The iguana won!!

-- Being picked up at the airport by the Belize Film commissioner...

-- Looking forward to being dropped off at the airport tomorrow, also by the Belize film commissioner!

-- The dogs of Brent's neighbourhood, who delight in their all-night canine serenades.

-- Ossifer the cat, Roh the girlfriend, Miss Nell the landlord...

-- But not Miss Nell's 8 or 9 dogs, one of whom surely is Satan in disguise!

-- Hockey night in Belize.

-- The horse drawn wood saw.

-- The simplicity of the more traditional Mennonites. And their humour.

-- The green/blue sea, the palm trees, the white sand, the blue skies, the creole accents, the rice and beans, the fry-jacks...

-- The Chinese food at Canton...

-- Blackie the helpful spranghead...

and much much more.

But now it is time to grab the boat.

Cheers!

Doug



No comments: