Monday, December 01, 2003

December 1st -- this is the day that most of us realize that Christmas is actually on the horizon. It is not another mall display, set up far to early. It is not the blaring blandness of Christmas FM. Nor is it the duplicated blaring blandness of CISL Christmas Hits 650. (Yes, sad but true, Vancouver now has 2 all Christmas Music radio stations -- with a Bremerton, Washington station offering yet a third option! ) God rest our souls.

But back to where we were a paragraph ago. It is December 1st, and that means that I have suddenly become aware of the Canada Post deadlines to mail cards to foreign lands. And we're not talking about Bremerton! We're talking Denmark, Australia, and Abbostford.

So, I decided that it was time to run off and get some cards, in the hopes of getting them in the mail today, and thus hoping to gave them delivered before Chaunaka Harry's dreidel deliveries. (I am attempting to be inclusive and diverse).

I went to Urban Empire, a funky store on Commercial Drive that sells all kinds of goofy stuff and really cool cards. And while I was there, I experienced one of the funniest things this month: the owner was ordering new stock. She was on the phone to her supplier and her conversation went something like this:

"Yes... that's 6 Jesus. Or Jesusi. Or is it Jesuses?"
"And a dozen pig catapults."
"A dozen Bendy Hindus."
"And only 2 penis cake forms. Just 2. They're not selling that well."

Needless to say I laughed my ass off...

No comments: