Thursday, July 22, 2004

It has started poorly, this quest of mine.

As readers of this site are aware, my current living arrangements leave a lot to be desired. Noise, ants, and distance from my favourite Cheryl are the main issues.

Today, I approached my landlord with the news that it was time for me to go.

He did not take this well.

The lease I have signed is the sticking point. He expects me to stay for the term. I'm doubting that will happen.

I have called the fine folks at the Tenancy Branch to see if I have a leg to stand on in terms of breaking the lease.

The other option that both the landlord and I have agreed to is that I can sublet should I want.

Having been a landlord in the past, I recoil from this option as it could be a much worse situation.

That said, I also could charge more for this place than I pay (as much as $200) and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

So we shall see. The last communique from Mr. Landlord was a terse statement that he will be on holidays until Aug 7. I reckon that means he has no plans to install the towel racks, fix the broken door, and deal with a big green stain on the carpet.

Perhaps this is good as it might tip the odds in my favour in terms of breaking the lease.

Luckily I have not handed over a bunch of post-dated cheques. And I have little motivation to do that now.

Also, there is always the option of being a bad (read: noisy) tenant. But that is a road I would rather not stroll down. What goes around comes around...

The weather in Vancouver is kooky hot. There are even heat warnings being issued for the weekend. Temperatures in the 30s are expected. It seems like its been like this since February.

I really don't recall what rain is. And I live in the rain shadow of the North Shore mountains.

It's time for sangria...

Cheers!

No comments: