Sunday, September 05, 2004

BUNTZEN LAKE: I HARDLY KNEW YE...

It's amazing how you can live in a place for seven years and still find things about it that surprise and amaze.

I'd heard of Buntzen Lake, but I'd never been there.

As the crow flies, it's very close to Deep Cove. But to drive there you have to navigate around Indian Arm... it takes about an hour.

The reason I had to go there was that I was working (acting?!) in a film that a friend of mine is shooting. It's low budget, but is being shot on actual film stock (16mm).

I play the main character - a Doctor - who has discovers the death of two people. In today's scene, I was canoeing on the lake with a little girl (Brianna, daughter of CTV graphic guy Al Moody).

Buntzen is surrounded by mountains. It is long and narrow, and stunningly beautiful. It's amazing to think that it is so close to the city - because it feels like being far up in the interior.

There is a massive beach, and today, there were lots of families and groups out BBQing, boating and fishing. There are canoe rentals on site as well.

We shot for several hours as I paddled around. The scariest moment was when Steve the director and DOP hopped in the canoe with his gear to shoot POV shots of me. Can you say tippy?

It was a shame to have to leave! But now that I know about this piece of paradise, I can see loading up a chair, a book, and perhaps a laptop.

And with lots of free time on the horizon, I will be back!

This evening I am off to Richmond for a meeting of the Night of Artist folks. It's $400 for another year... and while it's not good timing money-wise, I think it is important to continue with the project. Sales can only go up!

Labour day will be labour day - 18 hours of newswriting at both CBC and CTV. Then a couple of night shifts at CTV on Tuesday and Wednesday... and that's it! Retirement!

Cheers!

No comments: