Thursday, November 25, 2004

Fate II

Fate Chapter 1 occurred in the winter of 2001-2. It involved a leap of faith, a woman in Toronto, and affairs of the heart.

Chapter 1 is closed. A chance taken, a lesson learned.

Fate appears to be happening again. Fate II, I reckon.

On Wednesday, I was waiting for the bus at the corner of Granville and West 15th. Regular readers will know that I am house sitting at my friend Lisa’s place.

Wednesday was also a day off. The plan was to do some work at home, then meet up with Cheryl, Tom, Ed, and Millie and go see The Incredibles (my second time). We would meet at the Lennox Pub at 3 o’clock.

I knew we’d probably have a pint or two (it turned out to be many) so I elected to take the bus. Hence, standing and waiting for one at about 2:40pm.

I was wearing my iPod and listening to the Eels. There was a woman standing at the stop, and she turned to look at me as I strode up. She said something, but I couldn’t hear.

I pulled out the earphones and she repeated “Are you watching TV on that thing.”

Then she laughed and pointed to the VTV logo on my jacket and asked if I worked in the biz.

We had a short chat – I mentioned that I worked at several places and VTV – now CTV – was only one of them. She mentioned that she had been interviewed at one point – and that she was in the area doing homecare for a patient with MS.

A bus pulled up and we boarded. I took a double seat halfway up – she sat closer to the front.

Across from me was a fellow CTV employee – a part-timer whose name escapes me. He asked if I was going to work and I explained that I was meeting friends for a film. We then continued to chat about this and that. I noticed the woman looking back once or twice.

I got off at the corner of Granville and Robson… as did mystery woman and the guy from work. She wished me a nice day at the movies and said she was off for a swim. “Bye, TV Guy,” she said as she walked up the street.

I waked with my co-worker to the corner and he said he noticed that the mystery woman had been looking at me a lot on the bus. He thought she was definitely interested.

So today, Thursday – I was scheduled to work nights with a start time of 3:30pm. Curious about mystery woman I decided that I would take the bus to work today – in the off chance of seeing MW again.

At 2:45 I was standing there, waiting. No sign of MW. A #10 Hastings bus came by… and I climbed aboard. And guess who was getting off… MW!

“Hey TV Guy,” she said as she climbed off the bus. “Off to work?”

I said yes – and wondered if I should skip this bus… but decided that this was kind of fun. Or I was being stupid. We’ll see.

As I climbed aboard, she asked my name… and I asked hers, Sandra.

I thought again that I should wheel around and talk more. But didn’t. I paid my fare and the bus driver laughed and said “Thanks, Doug.”

This sort of thing never happens in Vancouver!

So… what next? Well, I work nights at CTV tomorrow, so I think I will head down to the bus stop a wee bit early… and I will definitely suggest a phone number exchange and a coffee this weekend.

And if she’s not there tomorrow… well… then that’s fate!

Cheers!

No comments: