Friday, March 04, 2005

Sherry and Rich


Sherry and Rich
Originally uploaded by borderfilms.com.
Thursday was an interesting day. In addition to doing little (which is the point), I worked the phones to see if I could extend my visit a little. If I am able to, it means that a trip to Guatemala is definitely in the cards.

In the afternoon I plugged in the AirPort Express WiFi unit at the Costa Maya Cabanas' office. Worked like a charm - I now have WiFi in my room. Which means substantial savings over going to the internet cafe.

Last night I met two Americans from Boston. Sherry and Rich have fallen in love with Belize, and Caye Caulker. This was their fourth visit in about a year. That certainly blows my record to shame.

Sherry is a flight attendant with American, and thus, the two of them are able to travel at a substantially cheaper rate.

Rich has a background in comedy and is thinking that travel writing might be a new career. I wonder where he got that idea? I explained to him that it is simple: just write it!

As mentioned earlier, I hit the Split for Sunset.

They had dinner plans with Sherry's parents, and I had plans to wander aimlessly meeting new people.

It was a quiet night. By 9 PM the sidewalks were rolled up.

This morning (Friday) Rich and Sherry and I went for breakfast. We chatted about the things travellers do... and politics. I went on and on about podcasting. No borders mentioned!

Breakfast was tasty (veggie omlette, fryjacks, refried beans) and Rich picked the tab. Awww.

Maurice, from Wish Willies, joined us. He's an amazing andd kooky cook. I'm going to interview him for a piece on Caulker. I also interviewed R&S during breakfast.

Sherry's parents showed me their room in one of the new joints: Caye Caulker Condos. US$120 a night, which is expensive (in Caye Caulker terms) but very nice and comfortable and new. Still, I'm getting much the same for US$31 a night.

Then it was time for all of them to head off. Back to Boston for R&S and Florida for her parents.

Me? Well, it's a blast furnace type day, so I may tempt the sunburn gods and go for a kayak later. But for now there is a hammock with my name on it. And a book about Croatia to be read.

Brent is possibly due tonight, if he can get done work early enough to grab the last water taxi (5:30). Failing that, he, along with Roh, will venture out tomorrow.

Another day in paradise. Best get to the juice lady before she sells out of watermelon juice!

Cheers!

No comments: