Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Crack of Dawn (!)


Crack...
Originally uploaded by borderfilms.com.

In Tuesday's posting I mentioned something about going for a swim at the crack of dawn. Well, at 6:20am that still hasn't happened. But I did manage to drag my ass onto the balcony and snap a quick shot with my point and shoot.

Beautiful though it is, it means that today is going to be hot. Probably in the 33C range.

My cabana faces east, and that means until midday, the sun hammers the balcony and, when there is little cloud, it gets almost too hot (Canadians are banned from ever referring to outdoor air temperatures too hot).

I've gone and lost my sunglasses somewhere, meaning that reading from a white page in the bright light is more like staring into the sun at, oh say, 50m. On Tuesday I found that draping a sarong over my head did helped, but did little to improve my chances at captivating cute Norwegian women.

This is my last full day on Caye Caulker, and I greet it with mixed emotion. I'll be happy to be heading home to stop spending money, but at the same time, I'm going to miss doing nothing more than sitting in the sun and reading under a sarong.

Brent heads back this afternoon, to remind his wife that she actually does have a husband. While I will remain for one last night to remind myself that I have discovered a truly special place on the planet. And to drink more rum as the sunsets in about 12 hours.

Thursday I will likely check out early, and then hang out until midday before grabbing a water taxi back to Shithole, otherwise known as Belize City.

Friday I'll fly back to Seattle via Dallas. I'm happy to avoid Houston, as I worry that someone is going to report me for sticking out my tongue at a certain statue.

I reckon it's time for a swim. More to come...

Cheers!

No comments: