Monday, May 22, 2006

from the "new country" dept.

Yesterday, May 21, 2006, the residents of Montenegro voted for independence from Serbia by a razor-thin margin. This means, barring any serious challenge or errors, that Montenegro will leave its partnership with Serbia and become an independent state this year.

I visited Montenegro (Crna Gora) last year and was absolutely blown away by the beauty of the tiny former-Yugoslav republic that sits on the Adriatic.

Sveti Stefan, Montenegro
(Sveti Stefan, Montenegro - May 17, 2005)


So now I have an idea. And, of course, it relates to travel.

As we all know, I am infatuated with the Balkans. I've visited all of the former-Yugoslav republics (Montenegro, Macedonia, Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Croatia) and find the area incredibly fascinating. I must have lived there in a former life.

My idea is this: travel to Montenegro for independence day. Enter when it is still Serbia-Montenegro and leave after it becomes the planet's newest nation. And, be there in Podgorica, for the moment a country is born (or re-born, as Montenegro was independent prior to being part of Yugoslavia).

These things don't happen everyday, and I am sure it would be a memorable event and a hell of a party.

So that's the idea. I'm accepting donations.

Cheers!

No comments: