Friday, June 23, 2006

from the "bad day" dept.


Bad Day
Originally uploaded by borderfilms (Doug).

Friday June 23, 2006 will be a memorable day for my buddy Randy.

Randy, Sue B. and I were planning to meet for breakfast at Slickety Jims on Main Street this morning.

I was heading north on Main, near 50th St. when my mobile rang. I checked the time. 9:15am. I was early.

It was Randy... calling to tell me he'd just been involved in a two car crash at the corner of Main Street and East 2nd. This is a dangerous corner, and I have witnessed many a smash there.

Apparently he was turning left, someone appeared to be turning right and then decided to go straight.

And that was it. Randy's little Miata connected corner to corner with a delivery van. The Miata, as you can see in the photo from the impound lot, didn't fare very well.

I drove down, collected the accident victim and after waiting for the cops to take the accident report, finally were on our way to meet Sue.

The status of the car is not good. And, after some sudden pain, Randy is now at hospital being treated for rib injuries. These didn't make themselves known until nearly 8 hours later!

It makes you think about the little things that delay our departures. If he'd left a minute earlier or later, none of this would have happened.

Cue the Twilight Zone music...

Cheers!

No comments: