Friday, January 12, 2007

from the "another step closer" dept.


Ghana Notes
Originally uploaded by borderfilms (Doug).

Toronto. Friday, 8:06 p.m. EST.

Man, am I bagged!

Our five days of training came to a close this afternoon. We covered everything from our job description to cross-cultural interaction to dealing with emergency situations.

Five days loaded with information that I'm still trying to process. Luckily, I have the weekend to decompress and get ready for the next step.

Our group (Sam, Hisham, Katerine, Trisha, Darrell, Mark, Eva and Renee) got along quite well.

We had dinner together Thursday night at the Pickle Barrel and then Katerine (a Quebecois living in the Netherlands) and I popped into the hotel bar for some wine. We seem to have developed the closest bond. She's closer to me in age, although I am the oldest of the group by far.

It's the first time I've every been really conscious of my age. Not that it matters...

I'm picking up a rental car Saturday and heading to Oakville for the weekend. I'll stay there through Sunday and possibly Monday.

Why Oakville? Because that's where my friends Janis and Jamie live. It'll give me a chance to do laundry, repack, buy a couple more items and generally hang out before flying to Accra on Monday.

On Sunday I plan to meet with a former JHR trainer who worked at the station in Takoradi that I've been assigned to.

Earlier tonight I spoke (via internet chat) with Kweku Temeng, a journalist at Skyy Power TV. He is very excited about my joining the team and asked if I liked beer. Heh heh.

Kweku and I may become roommates as he's looking to share a flat. As a value add, he mentioned his girlfriend is a good cook.

There is more, but I need to flop on the bed and just chill out. I'll post more observations and photos over the weekend. Then stay tuned for the first report from Ghana.

Cheers!

No comments: