Tuesday, March 06, 2007

from the "Happy Anniversary, Baby" dept.

Accra, Ghana
Tuesday March 6, 2007

We arrived in Accra early Monday morning after an all night drive from Takoradi. Along with the flame, we headed to the port town of Tema for a procession there.

After that, it was a mad rush to Accra for another, much larger, procession. Tons of people lined the streets as we passed through town. Even Jesse Jackson, in town for Ghana @ 50, took part. Images to follow.

It was a long day in the hot sun and I crashed in the early evening at Hicham's place. He's a JHR colleague and has offered me a place to stay for a few days.

I got up early this morning (Tuesday - Ghana's 50th birthday) and walked down to independence square in the hopes of meeting up with the flame folks. Again, they had left without me.

Independence Square was absolutely nuts. Thousands of excited people pushing, hoping to get a better view of the parade square. Mobile phone lines were jammed and I was unable to see or contact anyone. After about an hour of this, I decided to leave. I was drenched in sweat and ready to drop dead. There was no way to see anything, so I thought this the best option.

I'm writing this from CITI-FM, where Hicham works. We're heading to a rally this afternoon and I assume the Flame folks will head to their homes. I'm sad I missed the final leg of the torch - but it was beyond my control. And we did get great stuff in Accra and Tema yesterday.

So that's that. I'm going to hang here for a couple of days and then head back to Takoradi. It'll be nice having a break. And the chance to hang out with JHR folks...

Cheers!

No comments: