Thursday, January 08, 2009

from the "end of the beginning" dept.


San Pedro la Laguna, Guatemala.
January 8, 2009

The first week of my Guatemala experiment is coming to a close. It hasn't been the most productive week, but I have an excuse: I live in San Pedro.

It is quite hard to sit in front of the computer when the sun is shining in San Pedro. But I think this is just period of adjustment: Getting used to waking up with the sun at 6am. Watching it set at 6pm. And often falling asleep before 10pm.

Plus, I'm still in the process of setting up my house. I'm looking for some more kitchen wares and perhaps a couple of plastic chairs and a table for the living room. You don't get a ton of furniture for US$107 a month. You do get a cat. At least a feral one that demands kibble everyday.

I might even get cable TV... for about $7 a month, though I wonder if there is a benefit to receiving 45 channels en espanol. Wireless internet works at the house, and it is also cheap: about $50 for the month. Darn handy too...

And in reality, I've actually accomplished a few work-related things... and will really hit the ground running on Monday... at least, that's the plan!

More to come...

Cheers!

No comments: