Sunday, February 21, 2010

from the "back home" dept.

After a week of watching Olympic hijinx on the tube, I am now in Vancouver to participate in the craziness.

I arrived Saturday afternoon to unbelievably warm weather (it was -10c and snowing when I left Edmonton). I took the new Canada Line rapid transit route from the airport to downtown. It was jammed with thousands of people sporting the maple leaf.

I made a mistake leaving the terminus station and ended up on Granville Street, which was literally a sea of red. I then headed down towards the SeaBus station, lugging a rather large bag behind me. The SeaBus station was packed. The SeaBus to the North Shore was packed. Lonsdale Quay was packed. And then, finally outside, fewer people.

My buddy Randy picked me up and we headed directly for the liquor store to stock up (Baltika, Red Breast, Strongbow) and then onwards to Deep Cove. After dropping off my stuff, we walked two blocks to the Arms Reach Bistro for a fine evening of Russel Cream Ales and delicious food (I had the curried butter chicken). Delish! And only $80 between the two of us.

It was an early night...

Today the adventure really begins. We're heading downtown to take part in the merriment. Canada plays the US in hockey -- and we'll have to find a bar for that.

Let the games begin!

Cheers!

No comments: