Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Protecting Your Identity on the Road

When I travel I usually pack my laptop.  There are several reasons for this:  I write for a living, so I need my tools with me.  But I also use my laptop to access all my sensitive information while on the road -- especially banking.  The thought of using an internet cafe to check my bank balance is terrifying.  You never know who might get access to your account information and passwords.

But using my own laptop to connect to an open WiFi network in a coffee shop or library isn't as safe as I thought.  In fact, as the (always excellent) travel blog Gadling reports, hackers can easily gain access to your non-encrypted traffic.

This is what they say:

"Now, however, sites like Facebook and Twitter are encoded with such simple technology that web developers can write apps to steal random social media passwords -- all inside of a simple web browser. This means that any old person with Windows XP and Firefox can boot up their browser, turn on an application and start poaching Facebook data. Five minutes after sitting down with your tall non-fat latte you might find yourself with a new fancy status message, group of friends and password to boot." 
[ click here for the full article]

I tried it and it works.  Seriously.

So what can you do?  Be very careful or use a hardwired connection.  Resist the urge to use unsecured WiFi in public places.  And if you can't, be prepared for the consequences. 

Cheers!

No comments: