Monday, February 07, 2011

Torn

Responsibility Looks Like This
Once again I find myself in the middle of a battle that I wish would just go away.  Freedom vs. Responsibility.

You may be aware of my long term life plan: To travel/live in the tropics during the Canadian winter and return home to enjoy the first half of summer in BC and the dog days (plus fall) in Nova Scotia.  Surprisingly, I'm on the road to doing just that.

But:  I still have a bit of a yoke around my neck in the form of debt.  This is no one's fault but my own.  It comes from trying to live the dream before having the financial base to make it easy.  But things are changing. I am now working as a digital nomad, making decent money.  There is now light at the end of the tunnel.

Over the last few months, everything has been going swell.  I'm in a comfortable, clean and reasonably quiet $6-a-night hotel.  I'm busy.  I'm earning.  I'm paying off debt.  Every day is sunny and warm.  Perfect!

Then opportunity knocks:  How would I like to spend the month of April in a Manhattan apartment for the low cost of $50 a night.  Would I?!

Then opportunity knocks again:  How would I like to spend eight weeks housesitting in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.  A seaside residence, complete with car.  Would I?!

My initial reaction to both offers was "Hell ya!"  I can use my freedom to live anywhere.  And those two anywheres sound perfectly perfect.

I jump on the internet in search of cheap airfares and/or points flights to make the dreams happen.  In moments I realize that there are none.  I ponder further and suddenly I see these opportunities come with price tags.  And they're not cheap.  Deflated, I decide that I can't take advantage of either of these opportunities.  At least, not yet.  Once there is no debt, there will be true freedom.  It's not far off, but it won't happen next week either.  The universe is delivering -- just a wee bit too early. 

Sober second thought allows me to see that these opportunities aren't perfect.  New York would be great, but expensive.  The good thing is that it isn't going anywhere.  And I'll be able to stay there again in the not-too-distant future.

As for Lunenburg:  While I desperately want to return to the sea-bound coast, I must be patient.  Nova Scotia's charms will wait.  Plus:  Do I really want to return at the end of February?  No.  I want to return in August.

A trip to my home and native land will happen.  I have to renew my passport and deal with my taxes.  I've also got my fingers crossed for a Gulf Islands (BC) housesit in July and August.  

So here I am, being responsible.  I've decided that it's better to live in a cheap tropical paradise than return to the cold.  There could be worse things.

Now the plan is this: I'll stay in Guatemala, likely until late April and then head north to Calgary.  If I'm lucky, I'll head to the west coast for a few months, then to the east coast for a few months, then hit the road again for the winter.  Not a bad rough plan.  I think I like being responsible.

PS: Know of someone seeking a housesitter in the Vancouver area this summer?  Or Nova Scotia?  Or both?  Let me know!

No comments: