Saturday, June 02, 2007

from the "rainy season is here" dept.

The original plan was simple.

Hang out at home, reading, until it got too bleedin' hot inside. At which point I planned to tuck a book under my arm and head to the Planter's Lodge (in Takoradi). There I would sit poolside, in the shade, beer in one hand, book in the other. Paradise.

It was not to be.

There was no power last night. Without my ceiling fan, I had a fitful and sweaty sleep. I got up around 6 a.m., fixed some coffee and began reading Carl Hiassen's Sick Puppy. I would have taken a shower, but the water was also out.

Mid-morning the power returned, followed by the water. I continued to read, but noticed that it was still cloudy outside. Suddenly the ambient light dropped to almost nil and the heavens opened up. I read some more.

Around 3, the rain stopped but the clouds remained. I gave up on reading/drinking poolside and decided instead to walk to work and use the internet at SKYY. I had reports to file and I was very close to completing a some tv and music downloads.

At 6 my work was done. I'd downloaded some classic tunes and some not-so-classic television, The New York Times, The Globe and Mail and my email. It was time to go.

Then the skies opened up -- really opened up. And it hasn't stopped. It is now 8:18 p.m. and I am trapped. At least I've got net. But I'd rather get home. I'm hungry and thirsty too. Poor me. Wah.

"Take a cab!" I can hear you say. Right. Trying to get a cab here on a rainy night is like trying to get on New Years Eve in Vancouver. Fuggeddaboutit.

No. I am stuck here until the rains stop because I have my laptop and other goodies with me. I can't leave 'em as they'll disappear. I can't take 'em as they'll get wet. I even have an umbrella, but it's too small to offer much protection.

So that's the dilemma. Saturday night at work. Trapped by the rain. Too bad I didn't bring a book.

Cheers!

No comments: