Friday, March 09, 2007

from the "back of my neck getting dirty and gritty" dept.

Friday March 9, 2007
Accra, Ghana

I am a large sweaty man in a hot and humid climate.

My shirts are constantly sweat-soaked and beads of perspiration adorn my head like a liquid crown of thorns.

I hate being a large sweaty man in a hot humid climate. But I take solace in the fact that most local people sweat almost as much as I.

And it is better than freezing. And the beer is cheap. :)

Meanwhile: I am still in Accra, enjoying the break from the flame and a chance to visit with my JHR pals. We've spent lots of time hanging out in Osu, the ex-pat centre of Ghana.

Osu has a nice selection restaurants (Indian, Chinese, Lebanese, etc) offering up dishes that are difficult to find in Takoradi. I also love being able to buy used books - one more today.

Earlier in the day I headed to the Ghana Survey Office in search of four detailed topographic maps of certain border areas. It was easy to find and the office was open. I had worried that they might be closed for independence celebrations.

The staff were quite friendly and I walked away happily clutching a big roll of maps. The price? 200,000 cedis in total - about $25. A good deal, I think.

Tonight I'm off to a beach side eatery with the JHR gang and tomorrow we're taking an early tro-tro to Cape Coast. Eventually I'll be home in Takoradi and able to post more juicy road stories.

Cheers!

No comments: