Thursday, March 08, 2007

from the "capital news" dept.

Greetings from Accra.

I'm here for a few days to connect with fellow JHR folks and to recover from the last two weeks of travel across Ghana. And Ghana @ 50 celebrations. Phew!

All is good, though I have limited access to the internet. Also, many of my emails are bouncing back with "delay" warnings. I have no idea why, but I believe I get them all eventually. If you're finding this when you email me, let me know.

Ghana at 50 celebrations were pretty cool. There were 10s of thousands of people down at Independence Square. I hung out for a while, but after a few hours the constant push and pull of the crowd was too much. Plus I couldn't see bugger all.

But I can say I was there, though I didn't get the shirt.

I'm attending some JHR meetings tomorrow (Friday) and then plan to travel to Cape Coast for the weekend. Sunday night I will take the final one hour bus ride back to Takoradi and my home away from home. I look forward to that!

I've got lots of images to post, but my computer is back in Takoradi, and it is too difficult to post without resizing them. You'll have to wait.

I bought a Bill Bryson book today. One of the biggest regrets about coming to Ghana was not bringing any books. Finally, something to read!

I also visited Ryan's Irish Pub... and although they didn't have Guinness on tap, it certainly felt like an Irish pub.

And did I mention I accidentally erased all the music off my iPod? D-oh! Now I have only about 200 music tracks to grove too. Quite a difference from the 2500+ that were on the iPod. Ah well...

That's it for now. I'll be back in a few days with a much longer and more interesting post.

Until then,

Cheers!

No comments: