Monday, May 28, 2007

from the "back in the saddle, again" dept.

Luck was with me today.

After a surprisingly good sleep on Mark and Janet's floor, I grabbed a taxi to the bus station in the hopes of snagging a seat on either the 8 or 9 or 10 a.m. bus to Takoradi. Advance tickets are recommended but require a special trip to the bus station and the cost of two taxi rides (I don't have the knowledge of Accra tro-tro routes to take advantage of this much cheaper option).

Thanks to a final coffee with Mark and Janet and heavy Accra traffic, I missed the 8 a.m. bus. But I arrived in plenty of time for the 9:30 which left just after 10. A record!

It was a pleasant trip. The skies were cloudy and the bus was cool. Armed with a Carl Hiaasen novel (Sick Puppy) I giggled all the way to Cape Coast. After a short 15 minute pitstop we continued (with me giggling) to Takoradi, arriving around 2:30 p.m.

I zipped home only to discover that there was no power and no gas cylinder for the stove. The former being easier to explain than the latter.

I decided to head into work as I had been gone for a week. After warm greetings from everyone, I settled into a little internet research, some Daily Show downloads and suddenly it was 8:35 p.m.

Emilee, from JHR, is in town for the next few days so this week is bound to be busy. That's ok, because a group of us are heading to the Green Turtle Lodge for the weekend of June 8 and 9. Can't wait for that!

And so it goes... and pictures from the funeral should be up Tuesday.

Cheers!

No comments: