Friday, August 29, 2003

Caye Cauler, Belize
Friday Aug 29, 2003

Last night alleged arsonists ran wild in Caulker. There were two over night fires. One destroyed a palapa hut near the Lazy Lizard bar at the split -- fortunately the bar survived. The other fire was more serious: it destroyed a rather large place called the seaside Cabanas. A number of cabanas, a bar (where I had a pint yesterday), the office, and basically the entire operation was completely levelled.

And I slept through it, waking only when the power went off, and then falling back to sleep.

Heather, at the place I'm staying, told me about the fire this morning. I wandered down to see the smoking, black remains of what had been a very nice place. Barb, the ex-pat Canadian manager, looked stunned. Her job, and the jobs of at least six others, evaporated overnight. The fire must have been huge, as the cabanas filled a city block.

Today I am heading back to Belize City (at noon) and then Brent and I will head to San Ignacio.

More from there...

Doug

No comments: