Saturday, September 20, 2003

My Neighbourhood... I love it. I hate it. Generally my love of the funkiness of Commercial Drive is tempered by the annoying and near constant din of pseudo-hippies attempting to play their bongo drums in the park across the street.



However, today was one of those wonderful days when I feel like I live in the coolest neighbourhood on the planet.



Reward number one was walking into one of the many markets (one I had always passed by) and discovering Jumex Mango Nectar (and a low sugar variety of same!). What does this mean? Well, Jumex is a huge Mexican juice company... and I came to love their Mango Nectar while visiting Central America, where it is as plentiful as Pepsi. I could never find a similar (or cheap) version here... until today. First it was the discovery of Yugoslavian water, then Indian cookies, and now Mexican juice.



I'm sure that my favourite hot sauce -- which comes from Belize -- is sitting on a shelf somewhere nearby...



And then as I strolled around killing time, I ran into Ed McCurdy! This is a guy who I met when we launched Vancouver Television in 1997. He basically talked his way into a job on the Breakfast Show. And, he is porbably the most interesting person I know. We walked around with his daughter (2ish) and talked about his trips to Belize, Mexico, and Guatemala. He told me what Livingston was like 15 years ago. He asked if I had ever been to a cool little island called Caye Caulker. Er... yes!



And guess what he does for a living? He's got a good union gig, working in the SAFE INJECTION SITE! He basically helps users find their way inside, sort of like a Walmart greeter for heroin addicts.



Then I stopped in at the Celluloid Pharmacy and picked up a documentary on Fidel before grabbing some rumballs at the Chinese shop.



I felt like I've been traveling, though I only strolled around the neighbourhood...



Cheers!



No comments: