Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Perspective. It is often a hard thing to keep. Or to keep things in.

I say this because today I remembered perspective. The day began as usual at 6am, after a fitful night of sleep. The reasons are many and are unimportant. It basically comes down to the negative side of being self-employed.

By 6:45, I was at the local coffee shop, pumping caffeine into my veins. Before me sat some of the images from the Great Baltic Border Expedition. I was looking over 5 rolls of the 19 I had developed yesterday. The first thing that stuck me was how lucky I am. I've said this before, usually after returning from the third world. But this time, I mention it because of all the places I've managed to visit -- and the interesting people I've had the chance to meet. Pretty cool thing to be doing at this stage in life.

Then I went to the "Dog Beach" on the western side of the city (near Vanier Park!). I was their with my friend Joan and her dog Ella. Sitting there on a warm October day, with the mountains, the city and the sea all competing with the dogs for my attention. Stunning.

And now, its barely Noon. There is a long list of stuff to do. And this is the payment for being to lead such a free life. Not necessarily freedom from crap -- there's still lots of that (my lack of sleep is but one example) -- but the freedom to enjoy life a little more.

Joan was thinking that maybe she made a mistake quitting her full-time job. Often I have though that myself, until I open my eyes and just enjoy. After all, if you can't find enjoyment in what you're doing, then why do it?

Like I said: it's all about perspective!

Or it's the sushi I'm about to feast on...





No comments: