Friday, April 29, 2005

From the "I hate taxes" dept.

It's been a busy week. It started with coming home from California, and heading right into work. And then, two of the three days I had earmarked for working on my seemingly endless taxes disappeared when I got called into work.

Not that I mind the money. In fact, it makes me feel less ansty about the costs of the upcoming border expedition. Even though I have almost 1000 Euros on hand, I will still need another 500 or so. And that is nearly $800.

And then there are all the added expenses in Western Europe. I've decided to take a hotel near Heathrow during my one night layover between Copenhagen and Vancouver. Luckily I have found a number of them for about $100 plus tax. It probably works out to be the cheapest and most convenient option. And I will still get to visit my pals in Hamstead Heath -- and go for Ethopian food! But I will also be by the airport, and ready to go at 6am. No cabs or anything to deal with.

I spent Wednesday dedicated to taxes (I've got some catching up to do). More on Thursday, then worked Thur night. Today, Friday, is more of the same. I hope to have the lions share done by dinner time. Although I've been slow in getting at it this morning. It doesn't help when the weather is beautiful and I have the house to myself. I just want to chill.

I work all weekend, and Monday. And then have 2 days off before leaving for Europe (Vienna!) on Thursday. One hell of a long flight -- something like 12 hours, not including the plane change in London.

I am seriously considering BOSE noise cancelling headphones for the journey. I hear they do wonders -- and I have little time to adjust after landing. We drive to Hungary the next day.

The Macedonian visa is in my hands, and really, there are no concerns about the trip. Other than safety in Albania and Kosovo. Let's see what the Canadian Government says about Albania:

Security problems exist in some areas. Canadians should not travel to the northeastern border area with Kosovo, or to Bajram Curri or Tropoje, where government control is limited. Landmines and unexploded ordnance remain a problem along the Albania-Kosovo border. Use caution in areas bordering Macedonia (FYR), as security is very poor.

The crime level is high. Economic hardship and easy availability of firearms increase the risk of violent incidents. Street crime, such as pickpocketing and mugging, occur, especially after dark. Pickpocketing is more frequent on buses than on city streets. Do not show signs of affluence. Ensure personal belongings and travel/identity documents are secure. It is advisable to carry a photocopy of your passport at all times. Avoid travelling after dark. Car-jackings and armed attacks have been reported. Four-wheel-drive vehicles are frequently targeted. Criminal gangs operate along roads in remote areas. Northern areas (Bajram Curri, Kukes, Tropoje) are still considered dangerous. In Tirana, dial 129 for police. Police assistance and protection are not consistent with Canadian standards.


Gee, that's comforting. I think I'll skip looking at the Kosovo, Serbia, and Macedonia warnings.

It's going to be an interesting trip... that's for sure. And the laptop will stay in Vancouver!

Best get back to the fiscal crap...

Cheers!

No comments: