Saturday, September 30, 2006

from the "shifting to glide" dept.

"Nothing matters but the weekend..."

The weather in Vancouver has been summerlike for as long as I can remember. Hot and sunny every day. It's been amazing.

Today, a return to reality. And a welcome one too. A cool, damp day allows one to justify sleeping in and lounging. The world seems calmer. It's a chance to glide through the day, free of cares. And guilt.

It's been a busy week.

I've been writing online news for the Vancouver market, which has gone well. Though some days - especially Friday - were incredibly busy and multiple stories required multiple updates.

The good thing about covering Vancouver is that the start time is more reasonable. 7 a.m. as compared to 4 a.m. if I am covering an eastern site. Or 3 a.m. if I am covering a Maritime site. A half-hour earlier on The Rock.

The summery weather has encouraged me to get out daily with the camera (see Flickr for some of the results) and enjoy were I live. It may not be for long!

Housesitting in Kits

This weekend I am housesitting Leanne's dawg Katie. She's SUPER lower maintenance. A walk to do her business in the morning. Another in the evening. And a nice bone so she can remain bone-stoned all day.

Here's a snap from Tofino, last winter:

Dog day

I'm back to my own home on Monday, which is the SECOND day of October. Yikes! Tempus fugit, and all that.

On the work front, there is little scheduled after this week. I've had calls to do sound for the educational network, but the days conflicted with my online work.

So, as of today, there is nothing scheduled after Friday.

However, I sold another image and I have a little PR gig -- the two combined will cover about half my November rent. Woo! Freelance finances are fun!

All's quiet on the tax front...

No word from the tax folks regarding the you-know-what. I just wait for the letter and enjoy not knowing what the bad news is.

... while a possible and major change in life looms.

The Ghana, Africa plan continues to move forward.

I am interviewing next week for a 8-month position in Accra, Ghana as a journalism trainer. They'd like to place me in the print side of things - though my preference is radio or television.

Pal Wendy, who is currently in Ghana on the same program, has given me all sorts of inside information.

According to her, the stipend is more than enough to cover monthly expenses if you don't want to live like a Westerner and drink expensive Whisky.

That means living like a local and eating what the masses do while staying away from expensive eateries and bars except for the occasional treat. And single malt.

>>>> LINKEROO: Wendy and Jason's Blog

A shot in the arm

A big expense, however, is shots. Wendy noted that I've probably had the lions share of them already -- but there are a few that I'll still need. Hopefully I can get discounted drugs through a physician hook-up I have. Never pay retail!

After next week's interview there will be a period of waiting before (hopefully) getting the green light. The placement starts in January, which doesn't leave a lot of time to prepare.

I reckon I will sell most of what I can, put the rest in storage, and let the chips fall where they may.

Of course, that's if I am actually offered the gig.

Here's the website for Journalists for Human Rights.

If it does come to pass, and I do end up going, I see it as a complete change in the direction of my life.

Interesting times, indeed.

Cheers!

No comments: