Saturday, August 23, 2008

from the "time marches on" dept.

As my time at the CBC winds down, the excitement surrounding my upcoming trip to the mighty East Coast grows.

One week from today I'll be hopping on a big winged thing, destination Halifax. And, with luck, a quick roadtrip to Saint John, NB and Cape Breton.

The highlight, of course, will be the party (Sept. 5) to mark the 20th anniversary of the launch of MITV (Global Halifax). The list of confirmed guests is a who's who of Maritime media elite and communications gurus. More than that, it's a list of great people who, together, will make for a night long remembered.

Upon my return to B.C., some serious decisions will have to be made. My contract at CBC is not being extended and that means the hunt for income begins anew. The question is: is it better to hang around in Canada's most expensive city or go somewhere cheaper where I can work on travel stories and live at a fraction of the cost.

My Spidey sense says the latter. And with a $391 return airfare available to Central America, methinks that is the best option. We'll see. I'll also be testing the waters out east for opportunities. Imagine that!

A busy Saturday lies ahead: up first, a trip to my storage unit in search of a negative. I just sold a photo I took 11 years ago in Sarajevo, and now I have to find it. Several hundred Euro is a good motivator.

Brent is visiting from Belize and we're off to Blue Rodeo in Stanley Park tonight. How middle-aged! But it should be fun and the forecast looks decent.

On the political front, a 3 a.m. text message confirmed that Obama has picked Joe Biden as his running-mate. Let the fireworks begin! I can't wait for the debates... snd methinks being in the U.S. for election day is another good idea.

And so... the last week of August begins, prompting the ultimate rhetorical question: Where did summer go?

Cheers!

No comments: