Monday, October 26, 2009

from the "sands through the hour glass" dept.

"It was a dark and stormy night... "

As November 1st looms, so do many changes and challenges: A move from Guatemala to Edmonton, a new job, and the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel. In a month.

Now, I have lots of experience with new places, faces and jobs. But penning a book concurrently is a whole new thing.

And why, you may ask, would I move Edmonton, start a new job and attempt to write a book all at the same time?

Blame NaNoWriMo – the National Novel Writing Month. Each November, NaNoWriMos take on the possible: hammering out a 50,000 word first draft of a novel. For most, November is usually a slower month, allowing folks the few hours needed per day to write an average of 1600 words.

Me? I'm starting a whole new life, which should force me to utilize my writing time for maximum benefit.

The characters and story are already alive in my head – and they're just waiting to get out. I'd unleash them right now – but that would be cheating. No. They'll have to stay cooped up in my cranium for another week.

What is the story? I can't tell you yet, because I'm not quite sure of the story arc. But it involves Lake Atitlan, a group of ex-pats, extraterrestrials and the end of the world. I can tell you the title: Tropical Depression (or: My Landlord Doesn't Take Ham).

If you're interested in joining me on this journey into madness, check out the NaNoWriMo website. You know you wanna...

No comments: