Monday, January 10, 2011

from the "house hunting" dept.

So...

I've been Guatemala for nearly six weeks.  If you've been following along, you'll know that this wasn't planned.

I've been living in a $6 a night hotel (2 beds, cable TV, hot shower, free pure water) that's reasonably quiet.  Although the cleaning staff start sweeping around 7am.  And the third floor is under construction.  But other than that, it's quiet.

I've been thinking about another place to live, as I'll likely be here for a while.  Cost really isn't a factor.  Noise is.  In the developing world, there is lots of noise.  One has to be careful in one's long term housing selection.

There are so many sources of noise, especially early in the morning.  In no particular order, they are:

- Loud televisions
- Loud stereos
- Evangelical churches
- Chicken buses
- Delivery trucks
- Schools
- Dogs
- Roosters
- Cantinas
- Stone chippers
- Construction
- TukTuks

It is all but impossible to find a home without several of the above.  And that's where I find myself:  Looking for a quiet place conducive to working from home (writing, website stuff).  Do I tempt fate and trade the devil I know for the devil I don't?

On Tuesday I plan to look at a 2-bedroom bungalow with a kitchen.  It's cheap ($212/mo) and conveniently located.  I'd save a ton of cash because I'd be able to cook at home.  But, at the same time, I may lose what peace and quiet I have already. 

But I suppose I will roll the dice with caution.  Rent the bungalow for a week as a test.  And keep my hotel room as a back-up.

And you thought living in the tropics was easy!  Ha!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Couldn't you use some of those soft, squishy earplugs for sleeping and a pair of noise-cancelling headphones for working?