Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunrise over Lake Atitlan

Greetings from Guatemala!

I guess I should be writing more about my experiences here. So, here goes:

I'm currently in a small town on the shores of Lake Atitlan.

Guatemala has taken the situation very seriously. As of this morning (3/29), there are 34 cases in the country. The president (a doctor!) appears on TV at least once a day to give updates.

The country is under lock-down:

- all public transportation banned
- borders closed (you can leave via Mexico or Belize, but can't come back)
- airports closed
- nationwide curfew from 4pm to 4am (just extended to April 12)
- essential shops/markets are open but only until noon

There is no panic. The tiendas (shops) are fully stocked... including toilet paper. There is lots of fresh fruit and veg available around town.

Our elevation is 5000ft, so that means the weather is perfect. Generally 25C during the day and 15C at night. We're in the middle of dry season, so no rain. But the farmers are going great guns with water pumped from the lake.

The power and internet are solid and I have my own small house. I have some emergency supplies, just in case.

In terms of work, I'm doing OK. I've had a couple of out-of-the-blue gigs. But long term? Who knows.



If you're interested, there are lots of photos on my Instagram account.

Cheers!

No comments: