Wednesday, April 16, 2003


Karaoke Night in Belize

Picture this: a seaside bar packed with locals. They are the studio audience for the biggest hit on Belizean TV: Karaoke TV. Brent had told me about this phenom that occurs every Tuesday night. And boy, was he right. It was dichotimy (spelling, I know) city: Mennonites singing Bon Jovi, Belizean cab drivers singing Charley Pride and a woman from the prison singing Shania. All in a place with no windows and a sea breeze. On top of all this, the program is broadcast live to the nation. This goes on for 7 more weeks, and then the best of the best compete to be crowned best Karoke singer. And how were the 5 from last night? Some ok (the cab driver), some not so good (Shania). But all in all, a cool experience.

This morning I was up early... out the door and in short order zipping across the sea on a water taxi. Destination: Caye Caulker.

So far so good. +30 and sunny. White sandy beaches. And the hoards of tourists are no where to be seen. This will change, though, as Easter is a huge holiday season in Belize. It's going to be one big bash. Brent and Roh come over Friday. We're all here until Monday... then Brent and I will head for Guatemala.

The place I'm staying is called the Blue Wave. I have a spartan cabin looking at the water. It's got its own bathroom and is nice and comfy. Cheap too: US$25/night. I've stocked up on ice, beer, rum, snacks and have 3 books to get through. And a billion pictures to take, but they won't be posted until I'm back in Belize City.

And with that... ciao!

Jah over all!







No comments: