Thursday, April 17, 2003


Morning in Caye Caulker

How nice was it to have slept 10+ hours last night sans the horrid wail of dogs? Pretty damn nice, let me tell you. Sonically, this place is paradise. Add the 90 degree heat, beaches, and bikini clad crowds... well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilligan walk by.

Yesterday was fairly lazy. I wandered down to a bar at "the Split." The Split is where Caye Caulker was sliced in two by a hurricane years ago. And since the last time I was here, and after more hurricanes, the place has changed considerably. Gone are the mangroves... now it is beach central. Nice.

I sat at the bar, reading, and in short order had met a group of Ameicans from LA. They were here (and still are) to celebrate the 40th birthday of one of them. Sounds familiar. We hung out and swapped stories for a while. I dined on BBQ chicken and made a mess of my face. I also discovered that I had burned my arms during the short water taxi ride from the mainland. This with +30 sundope on. Go figure.

This morning I went for breakfast at the Happy Lobster. This was a nice and not too expensive treat -- about US$8 for bottomless good coffee, a big omlette with unlimited hot sauce, toast, hash browns and a big glass of watermellon juice. I love watermellon juice... another addiction!

Played with the digital camera last night at sunset. Got some great shots, although I will have to wait until I get back to Brent's place before I can see them full screen and post them. I also played around with long time exposures -- there was an amazingly fat moon hanging in the sky. With an 8 second exposure, the sky turns a rich blue, and you can see the moon reflected on the water. It's pretty sweet.

The plan for the day is a simple one: read and veg. Go for lunch. Read some more. Go for dinner. Hang out.

I want to turn in early (which is normal) and try and get up for sunrise around 4am. I awoke briefly this morning, and the sky was the colour of a box of pastels. I want to try and capture those images. The memory in the camera is filling up rapidly, though I am using a lower resolution mode now. There is a place on the island that lets you dump to disk. I may do that if its not too expensive.

I forgot to mention the phrase of the trip so far: Willful nasty. Roh came up with this to describe something that is really bad. IE: That rum is willful nasty. I think it makes a great moniker for a band. Or production company.

That is all. More tomorrow!


No comments: