Friday, January 02, 2004

2004. Here it is. So far so good.

After being comfortably perched on my couch New Years Eve, I felt like staying put. However my friends Steve and Heidi had invited me to their place in Burnaby. So, around 11pm, I dragged by butt off the couch and drove the icy roads to their place. And had a great time. We rung in the new year with champagne and sushi. I left around 1am... mostly because I was sober and had to work in the morning.
Nothing like a small house party for NYE.

New Years Day was spent writing news at CTV. And then the next day, today was also spent writing news. Lots of American fear and Canadian celebration. What a huge difference between our two countries. We welcome the new year, they fear obliteration at any moment. Mellow, people, mellow.

The snow continues to fall too. And its cold. -5 tonight. Sure, its not like -30 that Calgary will get tonight, but for a place where 0 is cold -- its brutal. And who has moon-boots in Vancouver? I'm lucky to have a pair of gloves (that I bought for the cold weather when last I was in Toronto). I don't think I've ever seen it snow for so many days. There's been at least another inch since I got home from work.

Tonight I am relaxing, watching the snow & Apollo 13.

The weekend will be filled with errands all morning and work 2-11pm. I have to get my photos into Caffe Barney Sunday night (Lorne is doing this for me, as I will be at work earning time and a half). But I have to pick up some prints and get them framed tomorrow. And write a bio, And make a list of the photos. And make price cards. And so on and so forth. And then on Monday -- nothing.

Well, not really, I am meeting with a guy I am doing a CBC kids piece on... he makes extreme sports videos. I'll be shooting that in the next week or so. And then I have another interview to do for my piece on shortwave. And then write two more travel articles.

Go go go!

If I get all that done, I might hop a cheap flight to Calgary for a few days rest. But we'll see about that.

Nothing yet from CBC Television regarding writing for Canada Now. I was tentatively supposed to go in for training next week, but we've not yet set the rate or times... so it might be the following week. And even though CTV dries up as of Sunday, I know that there will be many call ins.

One of the reporters at CTV said I should be reporting myself. I agree, but because the station is big on doing live hits, it would mean that I would have to do those too. Crafting a story is no problem. But doing live? Yikes. However, it would probably be a good thing for me to do... so might raise the idea with the news director. It would certainly mean more work... and who knows where it might lead.

Odd to think that as much as I want to produce a series, it looks more and more like I am destined to be a journalist. National radio, local print -- and perhaps -- reporting for CTV in Vancouver. Strange days...

Until the next post...

No comments: