Friday, July 07, 2006

Decisions, decisions


Save yourself
Originally uploaded by borderfilms (Doug).

Over the past decade, there is one decision that I truly regret and to this day continues to haunt me.

In the spring of 1997 I had just quit my job at a television station in Winnipeg in order to travel to Bonsia on a little project.

I knew money would be tight when I returned, so I was trying to be frugal.

At the same time, I was approached by a friend of mine who wanted to start a visual effects company -- primarily for television and film.

He handed me a proposal, which I still have, that would effectively give me an share (1/3 I believe) in Frantic Films.

The idea was great, the timing terrible and my judgment clouded.

I said no.

In the years since, Frantic has grown into a healthy company and I am nothing but happy for them in their success. It was a long, hard road.

I was part of the original sales team (well, THE sales team) when I came back from Bosnia. Instead of asking for a part of the company in return for my time (another error from which I have learned) I worked on a strait commission. I made squat.

Today I came across the news that Frantic Films is the 31st fastest growing company in Canada.

And that's all fine too. But that kills me is their 2005 revenue is just under $10 million and they now employ 80 people.

I know you can't turn back time and you have to accept things. But, sheesh, I mean... what are the odds?

Cheers!

No comments: