Monday, July 31, 2006

from the "taxing taxes" dept.


High
Originally uploaded by borderfilms (Doug).

Arrived home from Calgary this morning after a whirlwind of a weekend. I don't know if I managed more than 10 hours sleep since Friday morning.

Lots of highlights and tons of new music I never new existed. Like Stew. Like "That One Guy". And others.

The shoot went well. Brent got some good moments. We were able to spend lots of time with Grandmaster and Ivan as well as many of the musicians on Ivan's Stonetree label. As previously mentioned, Aurelio Martinez was unreal!!

Kudos to Dave Fraser for picking up my drunken ass at 1am Sunday. It's a true friend that will drive cross town to scoop a visiting buddy too cheap to take a cab. In retrospect, I should have.

Sunday was a good day for the most part. We started around 10am... and both the weather and music were hot.

We stayed away from the beer garden, however.

Around 4pm Brent and I decided to take a break before heading to to the Westin to shoot some more interviews.

We walked in the hot sun to a nearby brew pub. We sat inside to escape the heat. Shortly after ordering, the winds picked up and the temperature dropped 10 degrees. Everyone who had been outside ran inside.

After we ate, we headed back to the folk festival site. It was cold and people were leaving. We heard that a tree branch had fallen on a pram, but the baby was unharmed.

We shot an interview with the festival director and then just as we grabbed the last of the b-roll, rain began to fall.

We grabbed a shuttle back to the hotel to interview Grandmaster about his experiences. During the interview the skies opened up and the rain came pouring down. Poor bastards at the mainstage.

After wrapping up the interview with GM, we went for a beer in the hotel. Brent's pal Dixie joined us and we told all sorts of drunk idiot stories. Quite funny.

Ivan joined us for a while... and we had a great gab fest.

And then it was time to go. An early flight out meant no late night. As it was, I didn't get to Dave's place (where I was staying) until 11 or so.

Monday morning I rose at 5:45, met Brent and we were at the airport by 7:30 or so.

The flight was uneventful, though I feel like I've been away for a long time. I think it's more due to the lack of sleep in the past 7 days.

Today is a day off, but actually I am finishing my GST which is due. I hope to snag a good nights sleep tonight... in preparation for 7 more days of work. At least I don't work until 10:30am Tuesday.

THANK GOD!

Cheers!

No comments: