Tuesday, July 03, 2007

from the "captial city" dept.

An update:

I took the STC bus from Takoradi to Accra Monday. It left on time, didn't break down and the air conditioning worked. Amazing!

Upon arrival I hopped in a cab and zipped over to the Osu section of Accra. I had reserved a room at the motel4.com (odd name, I know) near the JHR office. Actually my pal Mark went there on my behalf last week to reserve a room for three nights. The motel is located in Osu and expensive -- about US$40. I usually stay at a place that is about $15/night.

When I arrived at the hotel I was told there was no room available -- despite the reservation, which was noted in the clerks book. In fact, it turns out the people who got the room hadn't checked out -- and thus had more right to the room than the guy with the reservation. Argh!

Luckily there was room at my normal cheap hotel. And in the process I have a great piece coming about the experience and I'll save about $90. So screw you motel4.com!!

Afterward I went to Ryan's, the local Irish pub, with some of the JHR folk. Then back home for a fairly decent sleep. Decent until someone decided that 6 a.m. was a good time to start cleaning out the sewer. Hoo, baby, did it stink!

Today I walked all the way from Adabraka to OSU and survived. Working off the beer, don't cha know.

Tonight fellow borderfreak Jesper arrives from Copenhagen... and then we're off to Togo Thursday. Stories and pictures to come.

Speaking of pictures, let's review some favourites. Click HERE!

That's it for now... I'm on holidaze!



Cheers!

No comments: