Friday, January 02, 2015

January 2, 2015 (THR +183)

I think it's time for this blog to change focus.

I'm on the cusp of my six-month hip operation anniversary and all is going well. I've added more physio to my daily routine to help with the stiffness. I'm pain free and feel no physical restrictions -- but the stiffness continues. This could be from my less-than-firm bed or all the hard chairs and stools I'm sitting on.

I've also got to be conscious of my weight. It has definitely edged up and I've got to reverse the trend by increasing exercise and cutting calories. Beer is the culprit, methinks.

But there is much more to life than my hip. My experiences here in Guatemala should be written down and saved for posterity. That said, writing is my job -- and extracurricular writing has to be fun, or I won't do it. How to make it fun? Write about the silly stuff here.

I mean, there's the crazy dog lady (there are several, actually) that feeds street dogs outside a house where she no longer lives -- and I do. There are all the high school hijinks of the ex-pats here. The trouble is they're my friends, so how do I write about them without offending them?

So far 2015 is good.

After a quiet NYE party that featured an incredible view of Lake Atitlan and the combined fireworks shows of all the towns the ring the lake, I made it home and to bed at a reasonable time.

On January 1 I left my computer and backpack at home (a rarity) and headed into town to have lunch with my buddy Daniel on the balcony of a restaurant called D'noz. We spent the afternoon chatting away before meeting up with other people at Mikaso (hotel/restaurant) for wood-fired pizza.

It was a nice relaxing day and very necessary.

What will the rest of the year offer up? Let's see...

No comments: