Friday, November 09, 2007

from the "history repeating" dept.

So it has happened again: Another theft.

This one, while not large in monetary terms, stings more than the others. It makes me want to pack my bags and go. I'm tired of being ripped off and taken advantage of.

Some background:

Since I arrived in Ghana, I've had the following items snatched:

- 1,000,000 old Ghana cedis (worth about $100) from work.
- A still camera (worth about $500) from work.
- A video camera, also from work, but I got it back.
- A wind-up radio (worth about $100) from my home.

And yesterday, 10 new cedis (about $10) from the kitchen table. Nice.

On top of all that, I am still disappointed that I was taken advantage of when I paid rent last January. I don't care about the money. I care that I was squeezed for 200% more than what I should have been paying. I don't even begrudge someone making a profit -- but 200% is a joke.

Where does this leave me? Pretty pissed off. But I've learned some good lessons and I am trying not to leave Ghana with a bad taste in my mouth. But I am very, very sour.

Back to the latest theft. Here's what happened:

I had about 10 new cedis worth of utilities to pay to the daughter of the landlord. She lives in our house, so I left the money on the kitchen table. A few hours later it had disappeared. How? Well, let's just say someone has access and, obviously, can't be trusted.

I had an inkling that the money would be snatched and I was proven right. I've been accused of encouraging the theft by leaving the money out. Right, in my own home. We call it the common area, but in reality only two others are supposed to share it. Apparently not. See above comment about someone having access.

I'd love to write more about the latest episode, but I think I should wait until I'm home.

***


I'm also damn tired of the revivalist preaching. Every night this week our neighbourhood has been filled with this bullshit wafting through the air. If you're speaking in tongues three hours a night, five nights in a row -- well, it's all an act, isn't it?

And the faux preacher gets to scare the shit out of people and drive home in a new car.

I am so looking forward to home.

Cheers...

1 comment:

She's a Ghana said...

hey doug,
thanks for sharing your pain! sorry to hear about it, though.
hope to see ya again soon so we vent face to face!
best, sophie