Thursday, February 12, 2004

Dumbcouver Volume XXIII:

My car insurance is due to expire. And because I live in Vancouver, where there are pollution problems, I have to take the car in for emission testing before being allowed to insure it for another year.

So... I took the car in this morning for repairs, after failing the government emission test (and paying $30 to do so).

However, the repair work has a $400 cap. So it doesn't matter if the problem is fixed. It just matters that I made the attempt and spent up to $400 to fix it. Then, after spending a maximum of $400, I go get the car tested again for another $30.

If it fails, I get a conditional pass. And then I can insure the car for another year, regardless of whether it's still blowing smoke. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I have that option. But it seems to make the whole idea of the AirCare program (to reduce emissions in Vancouver) rather pointless.

Cough, cough!

No comments: