Wednesday, August 31, 2005

from the "Though this be madness, yet there is method in’t" dept.

Finally went to Bard on the Beach, the annual summer Shakespeare festival here in Vancouver.

Sad but true: I have only seen Shakespeare on the big screen. Never in person. And I have never read it either.

However, this was not because I didn't care for Will. Rather, the opportunity wasn't there.

I know from my filmic experience that I love Shakespeare. The lyrical rhythm of the language is captivating. Yet, summer after summer would pass, and despite my best laid intentions, fall would arrive and I had missed Bard on the Beach yet again.

This summer, my pals Lorne and Katrina asked me to housesit for them several times. They offered to take me to Bard as a way of saying thanks.

So last night, we headed to the tents of Vanier Park and prepared to take in a live preformance of Hamlet.

The weather had turned, so fleece was necessary in the tent. There are openings at either end, so the cool air whistles through. I can't imagine how hot it must have been on the days just last week when it was close to 30.

Anyway, the play was staged "in the round" on a minimalist platform depicting the flag of Denmark. The wardrobe was modern, but the language was 1601.

The sold-out performance was a knock out. Even though I was a little sketchy on the story -- and I refused to read the program -- I wanted to see if I could understand it. No problem. Sure, there was some obsolete language, but generally, you could easily follow. L & K remarked at how timeless the story was. As relevant in the 1600's as today.

I stood (sat!) in amazement of how the actors could remember all those lines. And the perfromances were excellent as well.

It was a fantastic night out, and there will be no more excuses. Each summer 3 plays are staged. I intend to see them all.

Another day off... but lots of running around to do. Janis arrives tomorrow. I have an article to write. And so it goes...

Cheers!

No comments: