Thursday, October 13, 2005

from the "drunken man on a Halifax pier" dept.

As you know, I have a certain affection for Canada's East Coast -- especially Nova Scotia.

I worked there from 1988-1994 and I dare say it was the best time of my life. Not that life currently isn't great. But I had my youth, found fitness and discovered my love of travel there.

Sadly, I have not been back for many years. Cost and time have been the biggest factors. But after chatting with my buddy BJ Burke, who is the morning voice of Q104 FM, I thought it was high time to get back.

The best time of year to visit is right now... and with the various bookings I have, I can't go.

But I decided to check fares today, and Westjet was having a 50% off sale. And Air Canada was matching it. So, for a hair over $500, I could get my ass back where it belongs. For a few days anyway.

So I booked it! The next trip is official:

Halifax Nov 16 through 29. That's just under 2 weeks and includes 2 weekends. And should be more than enough time to get up to Cape Breton.

The weather probably won't be great. Cool, but probably dry. Spring is the worst. And who knows, maybe it will still be fall like, though the leaves will have been long gone.

Not that it matters, I'll probably be inside at a cavalcade of bars for the entire visit. Or, I'll discover all my friends are older, have kids, and don't go out. Heh.

Still, it will be fantastic to get back there. And there are some definite travel stories that can be done too.

The next trip will be to Sacramento in December -- close to Christmas. And then Tampa, probably in January. Though both of those are documentary related.

And did I mention India? Another possibility for January, but only on the horizon -- nothing firm.

And off to Calgary Monday. Or Tofino. Tofino is $150/night, which is a bit much. Calgary is cheaper. Though a further drive.

Hmmmm....

Cheers!

No comments: