Tuesday, July 08, 2008

from the "lack of focus" dept.

For lunch today I went for a walk.

Now that summer has finally arrived, I've been using my midday break from work to wander the streets of downtown Vancouver (and get $2.50 sushi).

Lately I've been down on Vancouver and I suppose I'm trying to like the city better -- to rediscover what I loved about it initially. And figure out why, after 11 years, I'm tired of it.

There's a lot to love about the place:

Mountains. Check.
Moderate climate. Check.
Ocean. Check.

But something's missing. And I'm not quite sure what that is. Even a passing vehicle playing Love Shack wasn't enough to rekindle my love of a city I've grown bored with.

Who would have thought?

Maybe it was that year in Africa. Maybe I crave daily adventure. I'm not sure.

This recent bout of deep thought has brought about a strong desire to head to the East Coast. 14 years after a painful departure, it still tugs.

And now, thanks to my Aeroplan account, I've just booked a flight to the east. I've also pulled the secret Aeroplan trick: Fly from Vancouver to Halifax, with a long layover in Winnipeg. Two destinations for the price of one. In business class.

Which bring us to the Tune of the Day... something Irish that takes me right back to my time in Halifax.

It's corny, but when I hear it I think of great times and great people. Something I didn't really appreciate at the time... And now, almost a decade and a half later, I find myself wishing I had lingered there just a little bit longer...


The Cranberries
Linger

No comments: