Sunday, May 16, 2004

Deep Cove. Day 2.

I'm thinking I should start another Blog called "The Deep Cove Chronicle," as I suspect many future entries will deal with this place.

I was given the keys for the new place on Thursday. For the past couple of days, I have been running back and forth from the old place to the new joint -- bringing the bare minimum of stuff needed to leave Bongo Hell early. The weather has been beautiful, and that has created a daily bongo symphony at the old place.

So I decided that I would move enough stuff over (including a cot), so that I could enjoy the new place. The movers don't come until May 22nd, so I can't move everything over yet.

I spent Saturday setting stuff up and running back and forth getting stuff. And packing. It seems like I've packed a hundred boxes, and there is still so much stuff to wade through.

Last night I discovered that the cable television service is working (free). Since the rent here is a little on the high side, I had decided that I would not get highspeed internet, cable, satellite tv, or a landline phone. This should save $150 a month.

I will use my cell phone as my main line (which it already has become). For broadband internet, I am able to recieve several open wireless networks. And, as I mentioned, cable is free for now. So, it all seems to be working out.

I stayed here Friday night and was suprised by the size of the suite -- and so far I have found the neighbours very quiet. Saturday morning I found that there is quite a bit of traffic and, quite a bit of traffic noise in the place. From 7:30 to 9:30 it was pretty disruptive. Then it died off. Deep Cove rush hour -- who would have thought?

The traffic will be something I'll have to get used to. And, having lived near a noisy road before, I know I can deal with it. At least there are no drums!

It's great having in-suite laundry... I've already done a load.

Saturday night I just hung out and went to bed early.

Sunday I got up around 6:30. I threw on a ballcap and hiking shoes and hit the Baden - Powell trail.

It is a moderate trail that starts a few blocks from home and winds its way through the woods of Mount Seymore -- and ends about 2km later at a spectacular look-off. During the weekend, it is particularly busy. But at 7am, there was no one! It took about 35 minutes to get to the look-off. And then I climbed up to another bluff for an even more spectacular view -- looking back at Deep Cove.

I took a few minutes to sit there and contemplate life. It is an amazing scene. And it's my new back yard!

I climbed down to the lower lookoff and hung out there for a bit -- and then a bald eagle flew over!

It was time to get back to "The Cove" for a coffee. And on the way back, I met some friendly locals with their dogs. I'm sure I'll see a lot more of them, as I intend to do this hike several times a week.

It took 28:09 to get down to the trail head -- and then about 5 minutes later I was ordering a double americano at a little place called Honey's.

Then disaster struck! My keys for the new place are really tricky... and as I was trying to unlock the front door, my americano went flying. Sigh.

It is still early in the day and I feel like I've done so much. The packing will continue later at the old place. And then its back to work tomorrow -- so I will probably stay on The Drive tonight. There is also a Night of Artists meeting tonight too!

Go go go!

Doug

1 comment:

Dave O said...

Nice to read about your experience as me and my woman are looking to move to the Cove. We were up last weekend looking for places to live and diggin' the scenery, parks and all that.

dave