Sunday, July 11, 2004

It's over. All the planning, all the spending, all the running around.

Last night was the Night of Artists show. I was one of 10 visual artists... and after a hard day of setting things up... and feeling out of place and not confident at all in my work... it was time to face the music -- or the crowds.

There were 300+ people there... and over 5 hours, I had to stand there, and chat (sell) my photography.

It was a weird experience eavesdropping on people -- and hearing what they thought of my work, my eye, my style.

I had a selection of images -- vancouver, sarajevo and borders. And the borders were a hit! I know I am onto something. And the comments were pretty much all very positive. Apparently I *am* a good photographer!

At one point, people were lined up 5 deep.

At the end of the day, I sold about $800 worth of stuff. Some to friends, some to strangers. But I know a book is not a pie-in-the-sky dream. The stumbling blocks continue to be money and time.

Big news today that Brent is now married. And with Lorne's wedding a few weeks ago -- I am rapidly becoming the last one. Again. Not to dismiss their happy unions -- I think they're great and I couldn't be more pleased.

But this stuff alludes me. So much so, that I have resigned myself to the fact that I will always be a one. Not the end of the world, of course. Just disappointing. After 41 years... you'd think...

Perhaps I am a little introspective tonight because Night of Artists is over, and things mellow out a bit for the next week -- before 14 days straight.

And the music I'm listening too isn't helping. A sample:

And still this emptiness persists
Perhaps this is as good as it gets
When you’ve given up the drink and those nasty cigarettes
Now I leave the party early at least with no regrets
I watch the sun as it comes up I watch it as it sets
Yeah this is as good as it gets.


Ha ha ha...

Anyway, it's time to get to bed. I am back at CBC at 5am. Returning the rental car. Taking the bus home. And hopefully getting my car fixed tomorrow.

And writing an article that is to be published on Thursday.

Cheers!









No comments: