Wednesday, August 04, 2004

When friends who have known you for nearly 20 years (16?!) tell you that you're working too much - and I mean people who REALLY know you - then you should take heed.

Thus was the email from my friends Scott and Katharine way over on the other coast.

Reading Roadspill prompted the missive. And it struck me.

I do realize that I have been working a lot. And I realize that it all has a cost. So far, that cost is limited to a very dull personal life, a missed summer, and a constant exhaustion.

But it is such a conundrum: when you don't know where the next cheque is coming from, it's hard to pass anything up.

So again, last night, I worked until 12 and was nose to the virtual grindstone at 6 a.m. this morning.

Ah, but all for a reason: freedom.

For me, freedom is defined as debt reduction. Expensive computers and trips around the planet (to drink beer in Estonia!) are all good. But they come at a cost. And that cost is debt. And that debt is what I am attacking.

And the attacking seems to be coming along. Just yesterday I dropped $2000 on the monster. And this Friday I hope to smack it with another grand.

And then, when the monster becomes a tiny version of its present self, I will be able to live lean and travel large.

Which, for me, is the whole point of existing at all.

Cathay Pacific has a great deal: From Vancouver, one can fly to Asia and visit 18 cities (or less) in 21 days. For $1499 CDN.

Wow. Hello, Kitty!

And this is why I am working so much: so I can look at that and say, SOLD!

Elsewhere in this world of mine: I neglected to mention that on Sunday I was an actor. A friend from CTV is shooting a feature film on an independent budget. But it is 16mm, and not that shallow video stuff (ha ha).

My character, the main one, is a doctor who loses some family in a most gruesome way.

On Sunday we shot a couple of scenes where I am running (puff puff) though the woods and make the awful discovery.

Was it ever fun! And there is much more to do. On Aug 14th we're shooting scenes in a (my) doctors office...

Music tips: Josh Joplin Group, Eels and Carbon Leaf. This is a repeat of earlier tips. But do source these bands out... they are well worth the effort. And keep dialing in RadioParadise.com on your internet radio!

After a hard day of writing Saskatchewan news from Deep Cove, it is now time to pack away the laptop and go look at the beauty that surrounds. Sure, it's as noisy as a F1 race... but there are mountains only feet away.

Cheers!










No comments: