Monday, August 02, 2004

Today was a first: I worked from home for the CBC.

I've been trying to get things set up so that I can do my CBC.CA work from home, instead of going downtown all the time.

This is especially important as I often start early -- 5am or 6am. And then there are situations where turnaround is involved.

Last night I worked until 11pm downtown at CTV and was due to work at CBC at 6am. Doesn't leave a lot of time for sleep.

So, I decided that I would attempt to work from home for the first time. And it worked fairly well.

Here's the deal:

The software I need to use - and the network connection to the CBC intranet are all PC based. I have a Mac. So...

I installed a program called Virtual PC that allows my Mac to emulate a PC. And then I installed Windows within that.

The next step was to install the necessary CBC software.

All of this worked... but the weak spot is my internet connection.

I currently do not have a dedicated connection. Rather, I am the wireless network from my pal Randy who lives 2 floors above me.

This is a great savings for me: no need for cable or a dedicated phone line to have broadband. I get it WiFi. So I save by only having a cellphone for chatting and I get basic cable for free (until they find out that I am getting it for free :) )

The network connection that the CBC software needs is pretty touchy. If the connection is lost, the server in Toronto will lock me out for four hours! Unless I call IT.

Anyway, long story short -- it seems that even my weak Wifi connection is enough. And today proved it.

I woke up at 5 to 6 and started working while I made tea and breakfast. Then after a bit, I popped into the shower. Worked some more. Took a 2 hour break and then finished my day. They like it when the web people work a split shift, as it means content is loaded over a longer period.

And I certainly didn't mind a long break today.

I have a night shift at CTV tomorrow, as well as a full day for CBC... so I will work at home for CBC and then around 3, I'll zip downtown and work at CTV.

Originally I was going to sleep at CBC tomorrow night, as I work at CTV until midnight and have to be back at CBC at 6am Wednesday.

But NOW I can work at home in a nice environment tomorrow, then go to work, then come home... and get up (still with only 5 hours sleep) but I won't have to get up an hour before starting work... just 5 minutes beforehand. And I can even take a nap!

I am booked with CBC for the rest of the month. And I have some double shifts with CTV that I am going try and give away... I will be spending a lot more time in Deep Cove.

And counting cars. ;)

Cheers!

No comments: