Wednesday, February 14, 2007

from the "off again, on again" dept.

The Freedom Flame is a go.

After much discussion over deliverables, an agreement has been made between Skyy and the organizers.

For most of yesterday it looked like I wasn't going to go on the cross-country trip to follow the flame that celebrates Ghana's 50th Anniversary.

But now we have a green light. We'll be shooting the flame as it makes its way from regional capital to regional captial. In each location we hope to find human rights stories that we can shoot for television or record for radio.

We leave Takoradi Thursday morning and will stay in Accra two nights. Then we drive all the way to the northwestern corner of the country and the city of Wa. It will be a long drive, but we'll be able to see a variety of landscape changes as we head north. Stand by for tons of photos!

It's Valentines Day AND Chocolate Day here in Ghana. It is BIG. Most men are expected to give chocolate to their sweeties -- and I've been instructed by most of the women in the station to join in.

I picked up a box of Ghanaian chocolate bars yesterday and I've been spreading the wealth all morning.

There is little else to report right now. It's still early (11 a.m.) and I have to rush home and pack all the gear for the trip. I really wish I had bought a better DV camera -- my fear is that my cheap Canon will die on the road. We'll see.

Time to distribute more chocolate...

Cheers & Happy Valentines (and Chocolate) Day!

No comments: