Sunday, February 25, 2007

From the "still not sleeping alone" dept.

Saturday, February 24, 2007
Takoradi, Western Region, Ghana

More than 12 hours later a blaring television brought me out of a deep and restful sleep. I lay there dismayed that I was covered with bite marks. Something had had a good feed on me and I wasn't sure what. I had burned a mosquito coil in my room and slept under a poorly draped mosquito net.

I've not seen any mosquitoes nor heard any buzzing around at night -- so I think the culprit is something else, like perhaps bedbugs. Ugh.

I rolled out of bed, ripped off the sheets and sprayed down the bed with strawberry-scented Raid. Lord only knows what this is doing to my body, but I think I'd rather an early death than more of ultra-itchy bite marks.

Surprisingly, I wasn't very hungry but I did drink down two pots of coffee (it had been more than a week!) for breakfast.

I spent the rest of the day writing notes, dumping off hundreds of images and relaxing. It was so nice not to have to do anything.

Asamoah called to say that a new event had been added to the itinerary for Sunday. It was located on the border between the Western and Ashanti regions, about four hours away. The new plan was to leave at 4 a.m.

I asked if there was anything special expected -- and it turned out that it would be nothing more than some politicians passing the flame across the border. I told Asamoah to shoot it himself, as I needed more recovery time.

Late Saturday evening I was finally able to eat. Gloria made a massive plate of spaghetti and I wolfed it down along with a litre of peach juice. But I remained exhausted and wasn't able to find the energy to walk to SKYY to (hopefully) go online, post stuff and deal with all the waiting emails.

I crashed early in my poisonous but lovely smelling bed, hoping I wouldn't wake to the sight of another few dozen bite marks. I did wake up several times due to the itching, but by morning it appeared that I didn't make a repeat performance as a buffet for my insect neighbours.

Cheers!

No comments: