Tuesday, March 08, 2005

from the "amoebas threaten" dept.

It's an early Tuesday morning here on CC. It's been a week, with just three nights to go.

Brent and Roh left for real life this morning, taking the 6:30 water taxi to Belize City. I wandered down with them, in a feigned attempt to get some exercise. Now, I have the apartment to my self again.

It's weird, because it's almost too quiet. With a fully stocked fridge, there is no need to spend money on eating out. Although with B&R gone, there isn't a lot of human contact. Well, there is Heather and Queeny the dog (who almost human). Queeny is funny because when she's happy and smiling, she bares her teeth in a snarl-like manner and appears to be sizing you up for dinner. Yet all she wants is love.

Going back in time to Monday: it was another slow day, due in part to Brent taking ill. It seemed to be a case of the amoebas -- but neither Roh nor myself suffered any internal gymnastics. In fact, the seas have been pretty calm.

Brent however suffered from gut ache and lack of energy. He remained couch bound for most of the day. Roh read. I walked to the airport and back and then attempted another go at kayaking.

The kayaks here are double, so I find them a little more difficult to use than a single. There is a single, but Heather says it has a crack in it and fills up with water in about an hour.

I headed out in the mid-afternoon and was immediately challenged by the steady wind. Paddling with the wind was easy, but into the wind was a real challenge. I tried to go up wind, so the return would be easy, but it was too hard. The west side of Caulker is sheltered from the winds, so I may attempt that today -- with the idea of paddling around the southern end of the island and, hopefully, having the wind at my back on the eastern side when I return to Costa Maya.

I skipped dinner last night, and instead chatted with Randy in Vancouver via Skype. We recorded another segment for AltNewsJournal. Today I have to upload the audio content I recorded on this end. So far, its been a bit of a challenge as there seems to be no free piece of software that will let me take a feed from my mini-disc recorder into the computer and save it as a MP3 file.

Also on the agenda: resetting my XM radio so that it receives all the channels. I contacted the XM folks and told them I needed a radio reset. The signal is being beamed as I type.

It's funny being on such a laid back island and dealing with things like Podcasts, satellite radio, and wifi networks. Regardless, it is still very relaxing.

I head out of here sometime Friday and the plan is to head to Cayo to visit Ivan (of Stonetree Records fame) and Katia (wife and Quebecois filmmaker). Also to look at Brent and Roh's land. And consider a patch myself -- obviously for years down the road.

Then we'll head to Flores, and revisit Tikal. I think this is a good idea, as I'll get to play with the camera more. All I seem to be taking pictures of here are sunsets. Although I am getting quite good at it. Last night was unbelievable. And I will post the pictures shortly.

I stumbled across a cool photography website this morning: www.edwardburtynsky.com -- lots of cool industrial images. And much more. I love the Three Gorges stuff.

Which reminds me that I must start working on a Canada Council Grant for the border photo idea.

Good news concerning work back in Vancouver: it looks like there will be plenty in the summer. Hopefully lots of work combined with lower expenses will equal more freedom to do what I am doing now.

Which is nothing.

Cheers!

No comments: